TV Stand page 4
Since the sides are cut at unusual angles I cut some scrap wood with matching angles to help hold the clamps in place.
This system actually worked well to glue the pieces together.
I haven't glued the face frame to the sides yet. First I wanted to mark and cut the bottom piece. I placed one of the sides pieces and the face frame on top of the piece I was using for the bottom. I used a pencil and marked where the side pieces set on the bottom piece.
I removed one of the side pieces to show the pencil mark on the bottom board.
My table saw was large enough to cut the bottom piece the only problem was the safety in cutting the angles of such a large piece. So instead of chances it I decided to make the cuts with my circular saw but before I could make the cut I needed to make a circular saw cutting jig so the cuts could be very accurate.
Circular Saw Cutting Jig
The jig is very easy to make and very accurate when making cuts.
I cut the bottom piece and checked it with the sides in place.
Although the two side pieces are glued together everything else was test fitted. Once the bottom was at the correct size, I marked the shelf using the bottom board and cut it in the same manner.
The bottom and shelf
The work piece is turned up side down in the photos below. I cut some support boards at a height that would allow me to rest the bottom on them and then screw the bottom in place. I turned the work piece upside down to make it easier to screw it in place. I checked to make sure the sides where are a 90 degree angle and clamped the scrap pieces in place.
It's been a while since I have actually done this but I believe I had not glued the face frame to the sides at this point so I used several band clamps to assist in holding everything together.
I put the bottom board in place and proceeded to drill all the holes. I plan on attaching a shorter back piece so I went ahead and also drilled those holes. If I recall correctly I attached the rear side pieces with screws but left the front sides and front piece unattached. Again I'm not sure if this is correct but it appears from the order of my photos that this is what I did.
Once the bottom was in place I removed the scrap pieces and turned the piece upright and proceeded to glue the face frame in place.
The band clamp on the right is a Bessey which I had purchased prior to the one on the left. When I needed another band clamp I looked on Amazon.com and came across the Wolfcraft band clamp. At the time I purchased the Wolfcraft it was only $25 while the Bessey clamp was $45 so I thought I'd give the Wolfcraft a try. I'm glad I did because I actually like it better than the Bessey clamp. It is easier to tighten or release the band and only one hand is needed unlike the Bessey clamp, which requires two hands. Now if I only need to use one band clamp, the Wolfcraft is my go to clamp.
I attached the self in the same manner as the bottom. I turned the piece up side down and used the same scrap pieces, but I cut them down to the height I needed to support the shelf. I then installed the shelf.
|COPYRIGHT 2012 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WOODWORKER'S WEBSITE / Website Designed by THE CREATIVE PEN COMPANY|